1/1 Photo of Healthier Than Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
24 hrs 30 mins
Mims & Squims's Note:
The cheese sauce should be made a day before, but other than that, this is a quick & easy recipe that tastes a lot like Kraft Macaroni. I like it because it can be made with no food coloring or preservatives, and I can add other cheeses for a different flavor. Since I can't eat the "real stuff," this makes a good substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
- 6 tablespoons egg whites, beaten
- 1Prepare Sauce: Cut cheese into small pieces and melt in double boiler.
- 2Add evaporated milk, salt and mustard.
- 3Remove from heat & stir in egg whites. Return to double boiler. Cook, stirring, until egg whites thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
- 4Pour into dish & cover with plastic wrap.
- 5Refrigerate until well cooled.
- 6Prepare macaroni:.
- 7Over high heat, Bring water to boil in a large saucepan.
- 8Add macaroni & cook for 10-12 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 9Mix cheddar cheese, 1/2 c previously prepared cheese sauce, and milk in double boiler over medium heat, stirring. Add salt.
- 10When melted & smooth, cover & set aside.
- 11When macaroni is cooked, drain excess water but do not rinse. Mix in cheese sauce/cheddar mix until well blended, and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthier Than Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (689 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.5
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 96.4 mg
- Sodium 1491.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 41.1 g