Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
You know you can use applesauce instead of oil, but in this recipe I revved up the strawberry flavor in the cake with strawberry puree. You can use a fruit puree to replace the total liquid volume that a cake mix calls for (I find that fruits with a high water content work best; bananas might not work so well). And using only egg whites cuts down on fat and cholesterol. Try this with any cake/fruit flavor to seriously cut down on calories.
- 1 (18 ounce) box strawberry cake mix
- 1 2⁄3 cups strawberry puree, unsweetened
- 4 egg whites
- Mix all ingredients at medium speed for two minutes.
- Pour into pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake as directed for pan size, reducing baking time by 10 minutes to start with, and check with toothpick (without oil the cake can dry out more quickly if you're not careful).
- If desired, frost with a reduced-calorie frosting (Is there such a thing? I just made a butter-cream with Smart Balance and spread it thin), or top with berries and Fat Free Cool Whip.