Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my take on healthifying (is that a real word??) the super-popular Sour Cream Banana Bread. I added dates and eliminated the sugar entirely, swapped out the white flour for whole wheat, and substituted grapeseed oil for half the butter. The result was a super moist loaf that was just sweet enough - the sweetness from the dates and bananas really shone through. It turned out so well I thought I would share.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium-large bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Sift the whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Cream the butter and slowly blend in the grapeseed oil. Mix in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and the dates.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, then add in the mashed bananas, nuts and sour cream. The mixture should be well blended.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.