Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
An attempt to simplify and make a recipe healthier. I suggest good quality tomatoes such as Cento brand, and Certified Angus Beef Brand.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (29 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions, celery, carrot, sausage, beef, and garlic until meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the crushed tomato, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and spices.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, stir in the sugar if needed.