Recipe by Mims & Squims
Instead of butter & cream, this recipe gets most of its flavor from fat-free chicken broth and oven roasted garlic.
Top Review by Bergy
Great recipe - I did a slightly different twist I added Chicken soup powder to the water as the potatoes were cooking, saved a bit of the water to mash in with the potatoes, already had roasted garlic MMMmm good. I did not use any salt Thanks I will be making these again & again and promise a better photo
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large potato (Idaho or russet)
- 1⁄3 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flaked sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place garlic cloves baking dish & drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until garlic is soft & golden, then remove from oven and let cool.
- Peel potato & cut in half. Place in pot & cover with cold water.
- Bring to boil over high heat & simmer 30 minutes until tender. Drain.
- In small saucepan bring broth to boil, reduce heat, & simmer.
- Squeeze garlic to release cloves from skin. Throw away skins and mash cloves (I use a fork).
- Mash potatoes; add roasted garlic. Gradually add broth to desired consistency. Mix in kosher salt & pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley & flaked sea salt (I use black or pink flake salt for color).