Recipe by ALC
This recipe is wonderful. It tastes just like Olive Garden's, but a tiny bit healthier because of the ground turkey breast vs. beef. Both ways are wonderful!
Top Review by commercesd
Great recipe! Since this comes out like an Italian chili, I sometimes add a small dollop of Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar to switch it up a bit (mostly for leftovers - if there are any!).
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 small onions, diced (1 cup)
- 2 large carrots, julienned (1 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (with liquid)
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans (with liquid)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 0.5 (1/2 lb) package ditali pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground turkey in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Strain the fat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
- About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
- Add the pasta to the large pot of soup.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.
- ***I sometimes cook the noodles and leave out of the soup-this way, the guests can add as many as they would like and it freezes better without the noodles in it!