Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Meatball subs are so yummy. NOT on my diet though! So I decided to see if I could make them somewhat healthier. Viola! Though these are still NOT diet food, they are healthy, well HEALTHIER. These would be great football night food, after a night of trick or treating or any night you need something fast and easy. You could even make these vegetarian friendly using vegetarian meatballs and cheese. Enjoy!
Top Review by twissis
Made for the My 3 Chefs event (meatball theme), I was drawn to your recipe because I was after ingredient-friendly & easy-fix comfort food I could serve w/coleslaw & a fruit dessert. I had a batch of frozen meatballs on-hand & used a different method w/the buns by spreading garlic butter on the inside of the buns & pan-grilling them in my electric skillet. I used both provolone & Parmesan cheese. The prep & assembly took only a few min. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)
- 12 meatballs, cooked (can use frozen or any recipe you like)
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 hot dog buns, toasted
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat meatballs according to package or recipe directions. Heat sauce in microwave or on stove top. I like to dress up a jarred sauce with some Italian seasoning, more garlic (see step 3) That is up to you.
- Meanwhile, open buns to expose the inside and place them on a cookie sheet, pizza stone or similar pan. Broil a few inches away from element and watching careful so they do not burn. You can flip them and toast the outside too if you like.
- Rub peeled garlic clove over the inside of the buns. You can then put the leftover clove of garlic into a garlic press and add to the sauce if you like. I love garlic so I add it then microwave for one minute so the garlic cooks just a bit and is not raw.
- Place cheese slice on open bun. If you like you can put them under the broiler again just to melt the cheese.
- Add three meatballs and 1/4 cup (2 ounces) of sauce on top of each bun. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pepper flakes if desired.