Meatball subs are so yummy. NOT on my diet though! So I decided to see if I could make them somewhat healthier. Viola! Though these are still NOT diet food, they are healthy, well HEALTHIER. These would be great football night food, after a night of trick or treating or any night you need something fast and easy. You could even make these vegetarian friendly using vegetarian meatballs and cheese. Enjoy!
- Heat meatballs according to package or recipe directions. Heat sauce in microwave or on stove top. I like to dress up a jarred sauce with some Italian seasoning, more garlic (see step 3) That is up to you.
- Meanwhile, open buns to expose the inside and place them on a cookie sheet, pizza stone or similar pan. Broil a few inches away from element and watching careful so they do not burn. You can flip them and toast the outside too if you like.
- Rub peeled garlic clove over the inside of the buns. You can then put the leftover clove of garlic into a garlic press and add to the sauce if you like. I love garlic so I add it then microwave for one minute so the garlic cooks just a bit and is not raw.
- Place cheese slice on open bun. If you like you can put them under the broiler again just to melt the cheese.
- Add three meatballs and 1/4 cup (2 ounces) of sauce on top of each bun. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pepper flakes if desired.