Recipe by One Happy Woman
This is a blend of a vegetarian meatloaf from Vegetarian Times and a regular meatloaf recipe. We like meat. And we're trying to lower our refined carb and fat intake. Not always easy. This makes delicious meatballs. I bake these, and serve in marinara, or for a splurge, in Trader Joe's Alfredo Sauce to which I add a little white wine, over broth-'sauteed' onions, cabbage and shiitake mushrooms. Pretty darned good, lemme tell ya.
- 6 ounces textured vegetable protein
- 5 ounces tofu
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 onion
- 4 scallions
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 2 -3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Reconstitute 1/2 12-ounce package of TSP/TVP according to package directions, in either hot water or with additional hot low-sodium broth.
- Finely chop the celery, onions, scallions, garlic and mushrooms and 'saute' in 1 T oil for a few minutes, then add the broth and stir over medium heat until soft. Let cool.
- Crumble the tofu, add the rest of the ingredients and the cooked vegetables and mix well with your hands. Add a more bread crumbs if needed to bind these; they will be light and will firm up a bit in the oven while they cook.
- Microwave a small amount to taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Form into meatballs and bake on non-stick spray prepared foil until cooked through. I make 1 1/2 inch meatballs, because that's the size my ice cream scooper makes, and I bake them at 350 for about 40 minutes. If you want to make a meatloaf with this, bake it for an hour.