Recipe by little_wing
This is my way of making lasagna..inspired my my DSIL's recipe. You get all the flavor and only a little of the guilt! You can cut back on the garlic if it's not your thing. You can use full-fat ingredients too of course. Can be made up to two days ahead and stored in fridge.
Top Review by BerrySweet
Great lasagna! I added more mushrooms, curshed re pepper flakes, and used low-fat mozzarella & fat-free sour cream. The recipe says it makes 10 servings, more realistically this makes 6-8. Leftovers were not as good as when it first came out of the oven, but I still enjoyed it.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute or 2 whole eggs
- 8 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, brown meats with mushrooms, onion and garlic. Drain and return to skillet or pot.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, and marjoram to meat mixture. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine egg substitute (or beaten eggs)cottage cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Place half of the noodles in the bottom of a 13x9 baking pan.
- Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over noodles, then half the meat, half the cheddar and half of the mozzarella.
- Repeat layers and top with 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.