1/1 Photo of Healthier Hollandaise Sauce With Variations
Tee Lee's Note:
This still has egg and butter, but buttermilk helps lighten it up. Is low-carb, low saturated fat, low cholesterol, low sodium and even heart healthy according to realage.com . Great for healthier Eggs Benedict or served over steamed asparagus, green beans or even Brussels sprouts. Includes variations for Sauce Moutarde (with mustard) and Sauce Maltaise (with orange juice) as well as microwave reheating directions. From Eating Well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml buttermilk, plus
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
Sauce Moutarde is Basic Hollandaise with
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
Sauce Maltaise is Basic Hollandaise using
- 22.18 ml orange juice (in place of the lemon juice)
- 1Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- 2Cook, swirling the pan, until butter turns golden, 30 to 60 seconds.
- 3Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- 4Whisk 1/4 cup buttermilk, cornstarch, salt and cayenne (and mustard, if using) in a heavy medium saucepan until smooth.
- 5In a small bowl, lightly beat egg.
- 6Whisk egg and remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk into cornstarch mixture.
- 7Set saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a simmer (low boil).
- 8Cook, whisking, for 15 more seconds.
- 9Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice (or orange juice, if using) and reserved golden butter.
- 10Serve hot or warm.
- 11MAKE AHEAD TIP:Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave on High for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring once.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthier Hollandaise Sauce With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 30.0
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 24.9 mg
- Sodium 154.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 1.3 g