Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sounds similar to my mom's green bean casserole but a healthier version and quicker too as it is cooked in a skillet instead of the oven. Recipe source: Cook's Illustrated
- 3 shallots, sliced thin
- 44.37 ml flour
- 73.94 ml vegetable oil
- 283.49 g mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed (or minced garlic)
- 680.38 g green beans, trimmed
- 3 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 177.44 ml heavy cream
- 177.44 ml chicken broth or 177.44 ml vegetable broth
- In a small bowl toss together shallots, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat 3 tablespoon oil over medium high heat; add shallots and cook until golden and crisp (5 minutes).
- Transfer shallots with the oil to baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Wipe out skillet and return to medium high heat, adding remaining oil (2 tablespoons), mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cooking stirring until browned (8 - 10 minutes). Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet and heat butter over medium heat, adding onion when butter melts, cooking stirring occasionally until edges brown (2 minutes).
- Stir in garlic and remaining flour (1 tablespoon), green beans, thyme and bay leaves.
- Stir in cream, broth, increasing heat to medium high, cover and cook until beans are tender (4-5 minutes).
- Stir in mushrooms, continuing to cook uncovered until beans are tender and sauce thickens (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Discard bay leaves and thyme, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish, sprinkling with reserved shallots.
This was a big hit. I used sugar snap peas instead of green beans (personal preference). I've never had Green Bean Casserole, but am glad I tried this!
I like this version of green bean casserole because it doesn't use the "cream of" soup or the french fried onions. In my opinion, this one is much better and I will use it often. I added chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. Great flavor!