Recipe by Ducky
We love garlic bread but hate filling up on all the bread. So when I saw this made on food tv, I had to try it. It is easy and does satisfy our garlic bread cravings without all the bread. I didn't have any garlic cloves so used garlic powder instead. Adjust the seasonings to your own taste.
Top Review by littleturtle
Wish I could say that we liked this just as much as regular garlic bread, but we thought it was just okay and I found preparing the pita without destroying it to be kind of a challenge. This bread is crisp with a very subtle garlic flavor. I probably would have liked it better if I hadn't been thinking "garlic bread", but as it was, this actually made me crave fresh garlicky, buttery garlic bread more than satisfy any craving. Thanks anyway.
- 2 (4 inch) whole wheat pita bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 4 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut a slit on both sides of the pita and gently pry (or cut) the pita so that you have 2 circles from each pita.
- Lightly brush the rough side with olive oil.
- Rub each pita circle with the garlic clove.
- Cut each pita circle into quarters.
- Arrange the pita pieces on a cookie sheet, single layer.
- Sprinkle the parmesan, salt, paprika and oregano over the pita pieces.
- Place 6 inches from broiler and broil 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- ***Watch them carefully while broiling as they will quickly go from finished to burnt.