Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
a few changes to lower the fat and calories, while still keeping the flavor. Leaving on the apple peel doubles the fiber. One serving is approximately 225-250 calories. Cooking time includes cooling time,.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely chopped unpeeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray bottom only of 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat sugars, buttetrmilk, oil, vanilla, and eggs with mixer on low speed for 25 seconds or until blended.
- Add rewmaining ingredients except apples, and walnuts, and beat on low speed about 1 minute or until blended.
- Stir in apples and walnuts, and spread batter into pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack for 1 hour.
I made a few changes to make it more healthier. I used 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup splenda, 1/2 cup brown sugar. I omitted the walnuts. This cake is so yummy. Great texture. Thanks Doug :) Made for Zaar Star Game
This cake is not only healthy. It is moist, tasty, soft, beautiful, has wonderful texture and so on.
I our fresh apples and walnuts with strong flavor for this. I substituted the buttermilk with mixed fruit juice (a not sour kind) and it worked very well too.
I'm glad I had whole wheat flour on hand, this is a good choice!
Thanks fot the recipe.
Wonderful snack cake! A very easy to make cake that is moist and very tasty. Made using Spenda for baking, Splenda brown, Buttermilk Substitution for Baking #430334 and eggbeaters. Recipe can be cut in half and baked in a 8x8 pan very nicely. Love that the apples are left unpeeled. Will make again. Thanks so much for the post.