Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this dish. It's called Chiang Mai Curry with Chicken. I learnt this when I was at the 'Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School'in Thailand. The reason it is healthier than the other Thai curries is that it doesn't contain coconut milk. I usually whip this dish up when friends come a-calling and they love it! It can be a tad spicey- it all depends on the type of red curry paste you use. It's really easy to prepare (takes about 10 minutes, the rest of the time is the marinating time.
- 2 cups chicken breasts, -cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon normal curry powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup water (less if you like a thicker sauce, more if you like a watery sauce)
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup fresh ginger, -skin removed and cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons tamarind juice
- Mix chicken with curry paste, fish sauce, palm sugar and curry powder. Mix well. And leave for 30minutes (or longer).
- Put oil in a wok and saute the chicken and marinade until the outside of the chicken starts to turn white.
- Add water and bring it to the boil.
- Add 3/4 of the peanuts, 3/4 of the ginger and tamarind juice. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce becomes thick (add more water if the sauce is too thick).
- Garnish with remaining slices of ginger and peanuts.
- Serve with steaming rice.