Recipe by EmmyDuckie
One of my most favorite soups ever, but it's usually full of butter, heavy cream, and other not so good for you stuff. So, here's my attempt at making it less sinful.
Top Review by cookin_nurse
An excellent & easy dish. I questioned whether or not I should buy the crab boil for this but I went ahead and did it and I'm glad because I really feel like it made this recipe! I do wish I would have invested in fresh crab meat with this instead of canned. I used heavy whipping cream instead of half&half. My husband & I really enjoyed this. I'm sure I will be making it again. Made & enjoyed for ZWT5- french/cajun/creole rgion!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken stock (fat free is better)
- 1 teaspoon liquid crab boil (see directions.)
- 1 lb crabmeat (imitation is fine, too)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweat the onion, celery, and bell pepper in butter and oil until soft.
- Add garlic toward the end so it doesn't burn.
- Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, just until it starts to take on a little color.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. (At this point, you can puree with a stick blender if you like a smoother consistency. I like it either way. If you plan to puree, use a yellow bell pepper so the color doesn't go off.).
- Add salt, pepper, and crab boil to taste. (I think Zatarain's has the best flavor for this, but be careful, it is potent stuff. If you can't get crab boil in your area, just use a little cayenne pepper.).
- Add crabmeat, and cook until done.
- Add corn and half and half, heat through.