1/2 Photos of Healthier Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
From a Taste of Home booklet and submitted by L. Heyn. I find the addition of whole wheat flour gives these muffins a deeper taste. My kids enjoy these anytime and I love that they are a bit healthier overall. I do not make them with pecans but the original recipe included them so I'm making them optional.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 1/3 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, wheat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 2In another bowl, combine the eggs and milk then stir in the mashed bananas, applesauce and vanilla.
- 3Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened (do not overmix or your muffins will become very dense).
- 4Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- 5Spray 12 muffin cups lightly or use liners and fill 3/4ths full with batter.
- 6Sprinkle tops with chopped pecans (if using).
- 7Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- 8Cool 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthier Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.1
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 35.3 mg
- Sodium 225.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g