Recipe by HokiesMom
From a Taste of Home booklet and submitted by L. Heyn. I find the addition of whole wheat flour gives these muffins a deeper taste. My kids enjoy these anytime and I love that they are a bit healthier overall. I do not make them with pecans but the original recipe included them so I'm making them optional.
Top Review by Lalaloula
OMG, these muffins are the best banana chocolate chip muffins Ive ever made or eaten! They are light, fluffy, moist and super tasty all at the same time! The chocolate chips and banana go great together and I love the added benefit of these being healthier. :)
I left out the sugar completely as my bananas were so ripe and sweet and instead of wheat bran I used oats as thats what I had on hand. The muffins were divine and my sis and me gobbled them up in no time. :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing yet another superb recipe with us, Hokies Lady! These are a staple from now on in our house.
Made and reviewed for Potluck Tag Game November 2010.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas)
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, wheat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs and milk then stir in the mashed bananas, applesauce and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened (do not overmix or your muffins will become very dense).
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray 12 muffin cups lightly or use liners and fill 3/4ths full with batter.
- Sprinkle tops with chopped pecans (if using).
- Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.