Recipe by Gingernut
This is a based on a casserole recipe I found on 'Zaar (#35583). I wanted to make it a bit healthier, so I added more veggies, wholemeal flour, and reduced the cheese. I also can't get cornbread mix where I am, so I had to combine it with a from-scratch cornbread recipe (#4496). I normally would just post my changes in the feedback, but these changes were pretty extensive and I am interested to see the difference in the nutritional values. You may need to fiddle with the baking time as I used a non-standard baking dish and I have a really dodgy oven. The original recipe called for a 3-qt dish and 30 minutes of baking time. NOTE: I have updated this recipe as somehow managed to leave out the cornmeal! Amazed that the review still came out so well *LOL*!
Top Review by papaya1703
Tasty recipe! I have made this before using Jiffy cornbread mix, but this is a great alternative. I use veggie dogs instead of hotdogs and it comes out perfect. Thanks for posting!
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml cornmeal or 236.59 ml polenta
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground sage
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml milk
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml chopped jalapenos (optional)
- 14.79 ml butter
- 236.59 ml finely chopped celery
- 236.59 ml finely chopped green bell pepper
- 236.59 ml sliced green onion
- 236.59 ml frozen corn kernels
- 6 hot dogs, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 236.59 ml low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 400.
- Mix first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, oil, and jalapenos in a small bowl, set aside.
- Saute celery, onion, and peppers in butter for 5 minutes in a large skillet or wok.
- Add chopped hotdogs to vegetable mixture, saute 5 more minutes.
- Add corn kernels to skillet, cook till warm.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients, stirring just till moist.
- Add all but 1 cup of hot dog mixture, plus about half the cheese, to batter and mix to combine.
- Spread batter into a shallow baking dish.
- Top with remaining hotdog mixture and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20- 30 minutes until golden brown and a fork or skewer comes out clean when you poke it into the casserole.