1/3 Photos of Healthier Cheesy Cornbread Casserole
This is a based on a casserole recipe I found on 'Zaar (#35583). I wanted to make it a bit healthier, so I added more veggies, wholemeal flour, and reduced the cheese. I also can't get cornbread mix where I am, so I had to combine it with a from-scratch cornbread recipe (#4496). I normally would just post my changes in the feedback, but these changes were pretty extensive and I am interested to see the difference in the nutritional values. You may need to fiddle with the baking time as I used a non-standard baking dish and I have a really dodgy oven. The original recipe called for a 3-qt dish and 30 minutes of baking time. NOTE: I have updated this recipe as somehow managed to leave out the cornmeal! Amazed that the review still came out so well *LOL*!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup polenta
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 6 hot dogs, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat over to 400.
- 2Mix first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
- 3Whisk together eggs, milk, oil, and jalapenos in a small bowl, set aside.
- 4Saute celery, onion, and peppers in butter for 5 minutes in a large skillet or wok.
- 5Add chopped hotdogs to vegetable mixture, saute 5 more minutes.
- 6Add corn kernels to skillet, cook till warm.
- 7Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- 8Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients, stirring just till moist.
- 9Add all but 1 cup of hot dog mixture, plus about half the cheese, to batter and mix to combine.
- 10Spread batter into a shallow baking dish.
- 11Top with remaining hotdog mixture and remaining cheese.
- 12Bake for 20- 30 minutes until golden brown and a fork or skewer comes out clean when you poke it into the casserole.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthier Cheesy Cornbread Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.4
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 109.0 mg
- Sodium 1243.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 18.7 g