Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from Littlebigblog.com. This is a healthier take on macaroni and cheese subbing cauliflower (or other starchy veggies like turnips, summer squash) for pasta and reducing the amount of cheese used by substituting nutritional yeast. Like all my recipes, this is ultimately adaptable to your own tastes and larder. Great as a casserole topped with bread crumbs.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 709.77 ml skim milk
- 88.74 ml Wondra Flour
- 226.79 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I usually use a mix of whatever strongly flavored cheeses I have on hand and a sharp cheddar)
- 236.59 ml nutritional yeast
- 118.29 ml raw cashews, ground finely (but not into a paste!)
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard (any yellow mustard will work, add more to taste)
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml cayenne powder (optional, doesn't make dish spicy but adds a nice depth)
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml panko breadcrumbs (for topping)
- 14.79-29.58 ml shredded parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Steam cauliflower either on stove or in microwave until tender but not mushy. Put into 9x11 baking dish.
- Chop or shred cheese(s) and put aside.
- In a large saucepan combine milk, Wondra flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, stirring to combine milk and flour so there are no lumps. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until milk comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Turn off heat and add cashews, cheese, mustard, nutritional yeast, cayenne (if using, can substitute paprika) and stir until cheese has melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower in baking dish, stir to combine. Top with panko and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until topping is browned.