Recipe by Rabia
I use sunflower seeds because my son has a nut allergy. You can also use applesauce in place of the oil or part of the oil. Also you can use egg whites in place of some eggs. I am not worried about the fat as much as using as better ingredients. We try to buy organic. YUMM
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (I use Rapunzel)
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups stone ground whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups sunflower seeds (or walnuts pieces)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (fresh)
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix carrots, walnuts, pineapple, raisins, and coconut with 1/2 cup of the flour to coat. This will keep them from sinking to the bottom of the cake batter.
- Sift and mix 1 1/2 cups flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream with whip attachment eggs and sugar until light and fluffy (the "ribbon" stage) then drizzle in the vegetable oil.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and pour over the carrot mixture.
- Fold carefully to blend.
- Pour the batter into a buttered and floured pan(10 inch round).
- Bake until firm to the touch in the center, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Let cool on a rack and then turn out.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar and cut into wedges to serve.