Recipe by Cook Tara K.
I got this from Everyday with Rachael Ray. It's a good mag.
Top Review by Boomette
I used button mushrooms, that's what I had. I used also 8 ounces. It was great in the burgers. That make them healthier and doesn't affect the taste. They are really yummy. And I loved the sauce on top. I used tomato paste. Thanks Cook Tara :) Made for Alphabet tag game
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste or 2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 4 potato rolls
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 3 dill pickles, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a grill to medium. ln a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms; season with pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons water and cook, turning the mushrooms once, until the water is evaporated.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let cool.
- Rince the skillet.
- Finely chop the mushrooms and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and the onion to the skillet.
- Season with pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is tender and golden, about 3 minutes;
- Let cool. Add half of the onion and the ground beef to the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and mix well. Form the mixture into a ball, transfer to a board and cut into 8 portions.
- Form each into 3- to 4—inch patties.
- Transfer the remaining onion to a small bowl, then stir in the mayonnaise and tomato paste.
- Spread the sauce on both faces of the rolls and arrange open—faced on each of the plates. Divide half of the lettuce among the roll bottoms.
- Add the patties to the grill and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Flip, divide the cheese among the patties, cover with foil and cook until melted, about l minute.
- Stack 2 patties on each roll bottom, top with the pickle slices and remaining lettuce and set the roll tops in place.