Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
An attempt to reduce fat and sodium in Quizno's recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fresh carrots, grated
- 1 lb broccoli, washed, cut (I use a whole rubber-banded bunch)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart fat-free half-and-half
- 1 quart chicken stock, low sodium
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces 2% cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot, saute onion in butter. When onions are golden, stir in garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add flour (make a roux) using a whisk over med. heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half. Add the chicken stock whisking all the time, bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat till veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Use immersion blender, leaving some of the broccoli in large pieces.
- Add the grated cheese and stir till well blended.
- Put on low heat and stir the nutmeg.