An attempt to reduce fat and sodium in Quizno's recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fresh carrots, grated
- 1 lb broccoli, washed, cut (I use a whole rubber-banded bunch)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 quart fat-free half-and-half
- 1 quart chicken stock, low sodium
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces 2% cheddar cheese
- 1In a large stock pot, saute onion in butter. When onions are golden, stir in garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
- 2Add flour (make a roux) using a whisk over med. heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half. Add the chicken stock whisking all the time, bring to a simmer.
- 3Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat till veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- 4Use immersion blender, leaving some of the broccoli in large pieces.
- 5Add the grated cheese and stir till well blended.
- 6Put on low heat and stir the nutmeg.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthier Broccoli Cheese Soup (Quizno's Clone)
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.0
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.9 mg
- Sodium 614.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 15.7 g