Recipe by Mandala
Healthier than your average blueberry muffins (less sugar, less fat, and whole grain) and still delicious! You can use lemon in place of lime for a different hint of citrus. The raw sugar gives that nice crunch to the tops of the muffins, but can easily be left off.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- rind and juice from one lime
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries (approx. 1/2 dry pint)
- raw sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the flours, sugar, and baking powder.
- Mix together the applesauce, milk, egg, lime juice and rind.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Carefully stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins. Sprinkle each muffin with a small amount (maybe 1/2 a teaspoon) of raw sugar.
- Bake at 400F for 17 minutes.