I am trying to gradually shift my family to healthier foods. Rather than going to no fat, all flax and no added sweetener--here is my compromise.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- Mash bananas.
- Combine sugar, oil and egg--mixing until creamy.
- Blend in mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl, combine whole wheat flour, ground flax seed, salt, baking soda. (Add the nuts to the dry ingredients at this point). Combine wet and dry ingredients, but do not overmix.
- Pour batter into loaf pans and bake approximately 1 hour-testing with a toothpick at the hour, and then as needed.
- Note: Because the batter is dense you will need to watch the baking time to be sure it is adequate--don't only go by color, flax seed will add darkness.