Recipe by JulieR7
Revised from the 1960 Ladies' Home Journal Cookbook. Our family's favorite!
Top Review by Kyle Newton
Changed it for lower fat. Doubled recipe for 2 loaves. Replaced oil with applesauce, reduced sugar by 50% but sprinkled sugar in the raw lightly on top, used two whole eggs and 2 egg whites, skim milk, added vanilla and omitted nuts. Cooked the same amount of time. Perfect and so good.
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the canola oil with the sugar. Add the mashed bananas and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, salt and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, in a moderate oven, 350 degrees, for 55 minutes.
- Turn out and cool on rack; wrap in aluminum foil.