Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I adapted Tish's Apple Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookie recipe to be a little bit healthier for me and thought I would share with all.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 12 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups raisins
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, finely grated
- 1 medium granny smith apple, finely grated, including juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butters, flax, and sugars in large bowl.
- Beat in eggs and applesauce.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture at low speed and beat until blended.
- Stir in oats, raisins, apple, and carrot.
- Drop by measuring tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. (I used a medium Pampered Chef scoop.).
- Bake for 10-12 minutges or until just brown around edges. Do not overbake.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet.
These were good cookies. I admit I made a few changes just for my family's preferences. I used natural peanut butter, oat bran instead of wheat germ, spelt flour instead of whole wheat flour, and I ground the oatmeal into a flour because my children do not like the texture of oatmeal in cookies. I didn't use splenda either. I did add in mini chocolate chips instead of the raisins because my kids don't like raisins either. I might try adding chopped almonds next time. I really like this recipe and feel much better about my kids eating this instead of store bought cookies!
Mmmmm just doesn't begin to cover it. I made them exactly as you specified except for adding about a 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts...like they needed any more fiber! LOL! They are so tasty, moist, and filling. I'll most definitely be making these again.
This is an excellent breakfast cookie! I made this for my MOPS group (about 40 moms) and they had to ask from the microphone who brought the cookies so they could get the recipe. It is now being passed along to all of them. So a big THANKS to you Mandus! This is the first time I've made a "breakfast" cookie and found it very easy. I used sugar and not Splenda, regular rolled oats, a big shake more of cinnamon, and 1/2-3/4 cup of chopped toasted almonds I had on hand and trying to use up. Yumminess!! :.)