Recipe by arasirbu
By switching the all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour, and using the almonds with the skin on, you retain a little extra fiber. Every little bit helps!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons anise seed
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, with skin, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a mortar and pestle, crush anise seed lightly. Add to creamed mixture. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture, beating until smooth. Mix in nuts. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and shape into two flat loaves each ½-inch thick, 2-1/2 inches wide, and as long as the baking sheets. Transfer to greased baking sheets. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool 2 minutes. Then slice ½-inch thick. Lay slices, cut side down, on baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes longer, or until just golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Makes about 4 dozen cookies.