Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A healthier version of 7 layer salad from eattingwell.com
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes or 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Layer peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, celery, and scallions on top.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar to taste, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread the dressing evenly over the top of the salad (an offset spatula is handy for this, if you have one). Sprinkle with cheese, basil, and bacon. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Never would know that this was a "lite" recipe. The dressing had just the right amount of zesty vs sweet. And the fresh basil was a flavorful addition. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC 2011.