Recipe by Dancer^
I love this bread, if you like dates, this will put a smile on your face. ww points 2.
Top Review by mianbao
I made half of this recipe yesterday, and baked it in a mini-loaf pan. The size was just right, and it made an good-looking loaf. I did follow all directions, and used all the ingredients, only cutting the amounts in half. I was somewhat concerned about what the outcome would be, with no sugar, no oil, and only egg white. It is fine, though I would prefer something a little (not a lot, just a little) sweeter. My big problem with this is the vanilla flavor. I used pure vanilla (Spice Islands brand), in the amount called for, but to me, the vanilla flavor clashes strongly with the rest of the cake. This may just be a personal preference. Thank you for sharing your recipe. It was an interesting experience.
- 8 ounces dates, pitted,snipped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dates and raisins in a small bowl.
- Pour boiling water over mixture.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir together whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Stir egg whites and vanilla into cooled date mixture.
- Add date mixture and almonds to flour mixture; stir till well blended.
- (Mixture will be thick.) Evenly spread in a lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove loaf from the pan.
- Cool thoroughly on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Wrap and store at room temperature overnight before slicing.