This is a favorite item of mine to order in NYC Jewish delis. So when I decided to make it at home for a BBQ, the first recipe I pulled off of the internet was right on the money. This is "kind of" like a good coleslaw but without the mayo and with a few items added. Use a 4-sided box grater to shred all of the veggies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium green cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 green pepper, sliced paper thin in small strips
- 2 kirby cucumbers, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 onion, sliced paper thin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup white vinegar or 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1Shred or slice (and I do mean paper thin) all vegetables.
- 2Mix other ingredients and pour over the veggies.
- 3You can make as quickly as a half a day before serving, but it is best to make it so that it can sit overnight.
- 4Refrigerate immediately after mixing veggies and dressing.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Health Salad
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 82.4
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 129.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 0.8 g