Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a favorite item of mine to order in NYC Jewish delis. So when I decided to make it at home for a BBQ, the first recipe I pulled off of the internet was right on the money. This is "kind of" like a good coleslaw but without the mayo and with a few items added. Use a 4-sided box grater to shred all of the veggies.
- 1 medium green cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 green pepper, sliced paper thin in small strips
- 2 kirby cucumbers, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 onion, sliced paper thin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar or 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Shred or slice (and I do mean paper thin) all vegetables.
- Mix other ingredients and pour over the veggies.
- You can make as quickly as a half a day before serving, but it is best to make it so that it can sit overnight.
- Refrigerate immediately after mixing veggies and dressing.