Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an oat-based breakfast cereal that my wife and I have eaten for years. Easy to make, and taking into account the cost of a box of similar cereal at the store, it is worth the hour and a half to make it.
- 42 ounces old fashioned oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Mix the oats, germ, bran and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the honey, vegetable oil and vanilla until almost to a boil.
- Combine all until wet ingredients are completely mixed in with the dry.
- Pour out into a large and flat greased or vegetable sprayed baking dish. Bake at 300 for 40minutes, removing and stirring half way through.
- Allow to cool completely, then store in a air-tight container. If you would like to add dried fruit or other nuts, add after the mixture has cooled completely.
- Note: The granola can be stored at room temperature, but my wife and I like to keep it in the refrigerator. Serving size is 1/2 cup.
Good granola...I only did a 1/4 recipe...and added in flax seed, puffed brown rice and raisins...also cooked a good 30 min less but like I said I did a lot less...we enjoyed it- Thanks :)