Not a clue where I got this recipe. It makes for a nice change of pace and goes well with either chicken or fish.
- Add the rice to the broth, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and cook for 50 minutes.
- Allow the rice to sit covered for 10 minutes.
- When the rice is almost done, cook the carrot and zucchini in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add sunflower kernnels, almonds and pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the almonds are browned.
- Add rice and parsley; stir until heated.
Even not having every ingredient on hand, it was still delicious! I didn't have zucchini, so used 1/2 cup finely diced celery and about 1/4 cup diced onion in addition to the grated carrot. I doubled the sunflower seeds. I also didn't have red pepper flakes on hand, so missed out on the heat. That said, it was really good! It had a great crunchy texture; the rice was nice and fluffy--not gooey. Because I am not a health nut, I added 2 tablespoons of butter in with the rice and broth. We also salted at table-it is a lower salt recipe. As I was making it, I thought raisins or other dried fruit would be good also. Paula G, thanks for another super recipe! We eat a lot of brown rice and I will be making this often!
I thought this was really good. I liked the additions to jazz up plain brown rice. I like that there isn't any butter or extra, unneeded fat added to it. I added a little chopped onion and a dash of garlic powder. I'll definitely make this again.
I made this tonight to go with Pineapple Chicken. Love the veggies and nuts. I'll probably add a little garlic and onion next time.