Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
Go ahead and eat cake; this one's good for you! I like it with some extra fruit on top, others insist on ice cream or whipped cream. Suit yourself.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup any dried fruit or 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dates or 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 cups crushed fruit, pulp and juice (you can use bananas, strawberries, peaches, mangoes, pineapple, applesauce etc.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients to gether to form soft slightly crumbly dough.
- Press or spread into 2 round, greased cake pans.
- Bake in 350 oven for 40-50 minutes until sides and bottom are golden brown.
- Take a peek.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto plate or board for further cooling.
- This cake freezes very well, so eat one and freeze one.
I made this this afternoon as I honestly fell for the name of this recipe:) I used a combo if 1 3/4 cups Homemade Applesauce and 3 medium bananas(mashed) alongwith 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups Quick cooking oats, 1 cup chopped walnuts and the remaining ingredients. I didn't see that these measurements were for 2 cakes and while mixing the batter, I realised that there was so much in the dish. This cake took exactly 1 hour to bake in my AMC Dutch Oven and has come out very yummy! I have a tin of mango pulp lying in my refrigerator for quite a few months but I was not able to find any recipe for it. I'm now just thinking I might make this cake to use that up. If I do, I'll come back and update this review. Till then, this one's a good cake and another thing I really liked is that its eggless. Good for my vegetarian guests. Another plus point I found is that even though this cake does not call for baking powder/soda, it rose "BEAUTIFULLY"! I'm impressed with this recipe and I'll save it right now in my cookbook for the future! Thank You for sharing this.
This makes a very nice breakfast cake. I used strawberries, canned pineapple and applesauce for the fruit. Dried cranberries and chopped pecans. I served it with a "sauce" of chopped strawberries and pinneapple tidbits. Some of us had whipped cream on top and some did not. Very, very nice.
Fabulous, being on a tight budget due to my sons meds every month, I used caned pineapple. I also used coconut flour I had on hand. The cake is a crumbly dough, just follow the cooking directions and indeed you'll have a wonderful cake, yummy. There's always a way to try and eat healthy, thank you for posting!!!:) Blessings, MS