Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A recipe from Epicurious. Editor's note: The recipe and introductory text below are from Alex Jamieson's book, The Great American Detox Diet.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown rice or 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon naturally brewed soy sauce (shoyu or wheat-free tamari)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm vegetable stock or 1 1⁄2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup finely chopped raw nuts
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or 1 cup other whole grain
- 1 cup minced shiitake mushrooms or 1 cup button mushroom
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the oil, flour, and soy sauce. Whisk well to combine.
- Whisk in vegetable stock or soy milk and cook until thickened, continuing to whisk, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the oats, onion, sage, thyme, nuts, rice, and mushrooms. Stir well to combine and transfer entire contents to a medium mixing bowl. Allow to set at room temperature for 10 minutes, then refrigerate until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the mixture from refrigerator, and scoop 1/4 cup of mixture into a patty. Place on the lined baking sheet, and continue to scoop mixture into patties until done.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and serve. If freezing, wrap each patty individually in plastic wrap.