1 hr 30 mins
Chef Joyous's Note:
This torte has been a family tradition for special occasions for many years. When my daughter, Julie was 4 years old she volunteered me to make this “magnificent dessert”, but she didn’t know what it was called, when they asked for volunteers to bring cupcakes. The teacher told me what "we" had signed up to bring, although she had no clue what this "magnificent dessert" was, did I? Knowing my daughter very well, I knew that this was exactly what she wanted! The teacher assured me that I wasn't committed to making the torte as it sounded awfully fancy for a 4 year old's holiday party! Yes, I made the torte and the 4 year olds loved it! To this day the trick is to get the Torte frosted before Julie samples the meringue or to serve it before she sticks her fingers in it!!! (and she is now 15 years old!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2Beat egg whites,while slowly adding sugar, vinegar, Cream of tartar, vanilla and salt.
- 3Beat until meringue holds it’s shape.
- 4Beat some more and still more!
- 5Draw 2- 9-inch circles on baking paper.(Or the inside of a brown paper bag)
- 6Place paper, with circles on a baking sheet.
- 7Spoon meringue equally within the circles.
- 8Reduce heat in oven to 275 and bake tort for 1½ hours. (Don't encourage children to dance around the kitchen or you will have a flat Meringue)
- 9Turn oven off and keep torte in oven until completely cool.
- 10Whip Cream and add crushed heath bars. (I use the food processor to crush them.)
- 11Frost cooled Tortes like a layered cake.
- 12Garnish with Heath bar pieces.
- 13Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- 14Cut small as this is VERY RICH!
- 15Variation: Put vanilla frozen custard or ice cream between layers instead of frosting with whip cream and cover with Strawberries, raspberries or peaches.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Health Bar Meringue Torte--A Trump Family Tradition!
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.9
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 59.5 mg
- Sodium 115.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 28.8 g
- Protein 2.4 g