Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
When the outfit got back after months out on a cattle drive, the headquarters cook took over. He had more fixin's to work with, and after a lot of mixin' and tastin' he'd serve up a smooth, thick chili the cowboys could really dig into. It is an easy and simple way of making this Chili.
- 3 lbs coarsely lean ground beef
- 2 small green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 (1 lb) cans tomatoes
- 4 -5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed cumin seeds or 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans
- Cook beef, green peppers, onions and garlic in Chili Kettle until beef is lightly browned.
- Add all ingredients except beans. Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in undrained beans; cover and simmer 25 minutes.
My parents used to make this and I LOVED it! Still do ! :) Great for a chilly day!
This reminded us a lot of a Weight Watchers' recipe called Chili Chipolata that we have made for years. It's pretty mild as chili goes, and actually better reheated the next day, but fresh out of the pot it's heartwarming, filling, country comfort food already. Made for Pick A Chef October 2008.