Recipe by Jenny Sanders
This is an excellent, excellent cake, although not inexpensive to make. You can make it dairy free, just don't use butter on the pans. It can also be made gluten-free, if you use rice flour. I have not given instructions for icing it, but it should be iced and generally presented quite formally; this is a special occasion cake. I like either a chocolate frosting or glaze on this. Also I have tinted and rolled out marzipan which I then cut with cookie cutters and used to decorate the iced cake. If I put a chocolate glaze on it, I like to add a thin layer of apricot jam over the cake first. "Go nuts!" (Prep time does not include icing or decorating the cake.)
Top Review by canthelpmyself
This is a great recipe! The cake came out really light, fluffy and delicate! I was very surprised with how much is rose. <br/>I roasted my hazelnuts first and chucked them in a tea towel, rubbed it all and then shook it in a colander to let the skins fall out. Worth the effort. <br/>I didn't dress it but it would suit something very very light like a Chantilly cream, maybe a little orange or mandarine essence. <br/>By cooking it in two tins you get more of the beautiful crispy hazelnut outside.<br/>Thank you for sharing, this took about 5 minutes to prep in my thermomix blender, will use again!
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons flour or 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 8 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the bottom of 2 round 9" cake pans with parchment paper.
- Butter (or oil) and flour them, including the parchment paper on the bottoms.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend 1/2 of each- that's 1/2 of each- of the nuts, sugar, flour and baking powder in a food processor until the nuts are powdered and everything is well blended.
- Add 4 of the eggs and process well.
- Pour into one of the cake pans.
- Wash and dry the food processor parts.
- Repeat with the other half of the ingredients and the other cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. DO NOT jiggle the pans during baking.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then remove them carefully to a rack to finish cooling.