This is an excellent, excellent cake, although not inexpensive to make. You can make it dairy free, just don't use butter on the pans. It can also be made gluten-free, if you use rice flour. I have not given instructions for icing it, but it should be iced and generally presented quite formally; this is a special occasion cake. I like either a chocolate frosting or glaze on this. Also I have tinted and rolled out marzipan which I then cut with cookie cutters and used to decorate the iced cake. If I put a chocolate glaze on it, I like to add a thin layer of apricot jam over the cake first. "Go nuts!" (Prep time does not include icing or decorating the cake.)
- Line the bottom of 2 round 9" cake pans with parchment paper.
- Butter (or oil) and flour them, including the parchment paper on the bottoms.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend 1/2 of each- that's 1/2 of each- of the nuts, sugar, flour and baking powder in a food processor until the nuts are powdered and everything is well blended.
- Add 4 of the eggs and process well.
- Pour into one of the cake pans.
- Wash and dry the food processor parts.
- Repeat with the other half of the ingredients and the other cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. DO NOT jiggle the pans during baking.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then remove them carefully to a rack to finish cooling.