Prep 50 mins
Cook 40 mins
Something just about everybody loves!
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground hazelnuts (plus a few extra for decoration)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until very light, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the water.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Mix with 1 cup of nuts.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten whites into the batter.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 180C degrees, for 30 minutes or until the cake is done.
- Cool cake on a wire rack.
- When completely cooled, split the cake into 2 layers.
- Fold the vanilla, icing sugar and the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts into the whipped cream.
- Spread whipped cream between the two cake layers and on top of the cake.
- Chill until serving time.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries or if you want an extra special look, garnish with hazelnuts dipped in chocolate and arrange in small clusters around the top.
- Note- The hazelnuts should be blanched.
- To blanch, boil the nuts for 5 minutes and when they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins.
- To grind, place about 1/4 cup at a time in a blender, or chop as finely as you can with a sharp knife.