Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a moist and very light Hazelnut Sponge filled with Strawberry cream. Just PERFECT for a dinner party, and can be prepared in advance. It looks very impressive too!!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 pint strawberry
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2⁄3 cup thickened cream
- vanilla essence
- Also need 1 swiss roll tin, greased and lined with baking paper.
- Hull and slice a little over 1/2 punnet strawberries (sufficient to make up to 1 cup).
- Sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Whip the cream SOFTLY.
- Add vanilla essence, sliced strawberries and any syrup'residue' in the bottom of the bowl from the berries.
- Beat for a few seconds, mashing the strawberries into the cream.
- Separate eggs.
- Put YOLKS in small bowl, and WHITES into larger bowl.
- Whisk YOLKS and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Add hazelnuts and flour.
- Beat egg WHITES separately until stiff.
- Add a spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the yolks to soften slightly.
- Fold the yolk/hazelnut mixture gently through the the remaining beaten egg whites.
- Brush paper-lined swiss roll tin lightly with melted butter.
- Place the sponge mixture into the tin and spread quickly to the edges.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn out onto a clean TEATOWEL sprinkled well with sugar.
- Roll up (from the longest side).
- Roll the cloth INTO the cake!
- NOTE: be careful NOT to roll TOO tightly as this will cause the sponge to flatten.
- Hold hot cake for a few seconds, then gently UNroll- to remove the teatowel.
- Roll sponge back up and leave till cold, then unroll sufficiently enough to fill with the Strawberry Cream.
- Cut into thick slices and serve with the remaining strawberries (whole or halved).
I was browsing for sponge roll recipes and found this. Tried this yesterday and it was fantastic. The sponge was super moist, and tasted so much nicer than the regular sponge. I reduced the sugar by 20% (to make it less sweet) and it worked out quite well. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I prepared this for Easter. I didn't have hazlenuts, so I substituted ground walnuts. It was really really moist and delicious! It disappered in a flash! Will definately make it again soon, with hazlenuts this time! Thanks for the great instructions! Muchmom