This is a moist and very light Hazelnut Sponge filled with Strawberry cream. Just PERFECT for a dinner party, and can be prepared in advance. It looks very impressive too!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Also need 1 swiss roll tin, greased and lined with baking paper.
- 2Hull and slice a little over 1/2 punnet strawberries (sufficient to make up to 1 cup).
- 3Sprinkle with caster sugar.
- 4Whip the cream SOFTLY.
- 5Add vanilla essence, sliced strawberries and any syrup'residue' in the bottom of the bowl from the berries.
- 6Beat for a few seconds, mashing the strawberries into the cream.
- 7Separate eggs.
- 8Put YOLKS in small bowl, and WHITES into larger bowl.
- 9Whisk YOLKS and sugar until thick and creamy.
- 10Add hazelnuts and flour.
- 11Beat egg WHITES separately until stiff.
- 12Add a spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the yolks to soften slightly.
- 13Fold the yolk/hazelnut mixture gently through the the remaining beaten egg whites.
- 14Brush paper-lined swiss roll tin lightly with melted butter.
- 15Place the sponge mixture into the tin and spread quickly to the edges.
- 16Bake in a moderate oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- 17Turn out onto a clean TEATOWEL sprinkled well with sugar.
- 18Roll up (from the longest side).
- 19Roll the cloth INTO the cake!
- 20NOTE: be careful NOT to roll TOO tightly as this will cause the sponge to flatten.
- 21Hold hot cake for a few seconds, then gently UNroll- to remove the teatowel.
- 22Roll sponge back up and leave till cold, then unroll sufficiently enough to fill with the Strawberry Cream.
- 23Cut into thick slices and serve with the remaining strawberries (whole or halved).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hazelnut Sponge Roll With Strawberry Cream
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.6
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 170.6 mg
- Sodium 122.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 7.3 g