Recipe by Sherrie-pie
I use this base whenever the recipe calls for a prebaked shell. I love hazelnuts. For sweet pies.
- 170 g ground hazelnuts
- 75 g plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 50 g butter, at room temperature
- 65 g soft light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- Put hazelnuts in a large bowl. Sift in the flour and salt, and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Beat the butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk. Gradually fold in the nut mixture, in three batches.
- Press the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish, spreading it evenly against the sides. Form a rim around the top edge that is slightly thicker than the sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bake the base for 15 minutes. Leave to cool before filling.