Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Not as dry tasting as some biscotti, my customers love these. We cut them into pretty large size biscotti. The merlot will turn the dough into an odd color, but it bakes up nice.
- Bake nuts in a 325 degree oven until toasty looking, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rub in a dry towel to remove the skins. This is a messy job, but hazelnut skins can be very bitter, so I always remove them.
- Coarsely chop the nuts and set aside to cool.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs, merlot and vanilla, gently mix together.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, carefully mix together.
- Add the hazelnuts and mix. The dough will be very soft and moist.
- Divide the dough into two logs and pat out on a large parchment lined baking sheet. I flour my hands a bit to help with this. These will spread, so if your baking sheet isn't large, use two. The logs should be about 3/4 inch thick, and about 5 x 14 inches long.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until the logs feel firm. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 5 minutes.
- Gently cut the logs into 1/2" - 3/4 " slices, and spread the slices out on the baking sheets. A serrated knife might be best for this. Return to the oven for 20 - 25 minutes more, turning the cookies over halfway through the baking time. Remove from the oven when they feel firm in the middle.
- Cool on a rack.