Recipe by WicklewoodWench
This is a Mary Berry recipe I am looking forward to trying when I can get my hands on some fresh raspberries.
Top Review by Kathy B.
This recipe is missing a step! I couldn't understand why my meringue came out of the oven so soft. I did some research.<br/><br/>After the initial 8 minutes in the oven the following should be done.<br/><br/>Reduce the temperature to 160?C (140?C fan/325?F/Gas 3) and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- 4 egg whites
- 8 ounces caster sugar
- 2 ounces roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 10 fluid ounces double cream, whipped
- 7 ounces fresh raspberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Line a 9x13 Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk using an electric whisk on full speed until very stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar a teaspoon at a time, whisking well between each addition.
- The meringue is ready when it is glossy and very stiff.
- Spread the mixture into prepared tin and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Bake for 8 mins or until very golden.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and turn hazelnut side down on a sheet of non-stick baking parchment.
- Remove the paper from the base of the meringue and allow to cool for ten mins.
- Spread the whipped cream over the meringue and scatter over the raspberries.
- Using the parchment to help you, roll the meringue up fairly tightly from one of the long ends to form a roulade.
- Wrap in non-stick baking parchment and chill well before serving.
- To serve unwrap and cut in slices.