Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious way to use hazelnuts. When served many people exclaim it is the best ice cream they have ever had. Much better than store bought, and much more creative too. Adapted from a great ice cream book.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place hazelnuts in a baking pan and bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Place nuts on a cloth towel, wrap the nuts up, and rub them together until their papery skins come off.
- Cool nuts.
- In blender or food processor, grind nuts until are finely ground and start to release their oil but still have texture.
- In a double boiler combine half-and-half and the nuts.
- Cook over simmering water for 15 minutes.
- Whisk sugar into the egg yolks.
- Whisk some of the hot half-and-half mixture with the egg yolks return the egg yolk mixture to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the spoon.
- When done, place the pan in a pan of very cold water and stir until cool.
- Stir the cream and Frangelico or extract into the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or til thoroughly chilled.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker following the manufactuer's directions.