Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, toasted lightly
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Cook 1 ½ cups of the sugar with ¼ cup of water over moderate heat until sugar is dissolved, and bring syrup to a boil.
- Boil syrup, undisturbed, until it is pale golden, and cook it, swirling the pan gently, until it is pale amber in colour.
- Stir in hazelnuts and almonds and return syrup to boil.
- Pour onto an oiled marble slab and let cool completely.
- Break into pieces and pulverize in a blender or food processor.
- Beat together egg yolks with remaining ½ cup sugar until mixture is thick and pale.
- In a saucepan, combine cream, milk and vanilla extract and scald.
- Add milk to yolks in a thin stream, whisking constantly so yolks dont curdle.
- Transfer custard to a saucepan and cook over moderately-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, but do not let it boil.
- Strain custard through a fine sieve into a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and let it cool, stirring occasionally.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface of custard and chill for 2 hours.
- Stir in the praline and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.