Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
You will love these! Did you know hazelnuts are a rich source of dietary fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, and heart healthy B vitamins? Adapted from the Hazelnut Council.
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄4 cups hazelnuts, toasted, skin removed and diced, divided
Fig Preserve(use 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup dried mission figs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ruby port
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- To make Fig Preserve:.
- Sauté the chopped shallots in butter until softened, but not browned. Add chopped dried mission figs, port and dried thyme. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until figs are tender and most of liquid is absorbed; cool.
- Purée in food processor to a rough paste.
- To prepare Twists:.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Place pastry sheets on lightly floured work surface. Beat egg and water, set aside. Spread fig preserve evenly over one pastry sheet. Sprinkle blue cheese and 3/4 cup hazelnuts over preserve. Place second pastry sheet over hazelnuts.
- Brush top of pastry with beaten egg. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, gently pressing nuts into pastry. Turn pastry over and repeat with beaten egg and remaining hazelnuts. Pastry should measure 9x12".
- Cut pastry across shortest width into 1/2-inch strips. Twist and arrange on greased baking sheet. Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes or until risen and golden. Cool on wire rack.
Yum!! I am so sorry I only made a half batch. Crispy sweet and savory -- terrific with a glass of riesling. I'll make these again -- a full batch for sure.