Recipe by Julesong
This dish was prepared in the same episode of "30 Minute Meals" as the prosciutto-wrapped endive I've also entered here at RecipeZaar, so I went ahead and fixed them for dinner on the same day. :) Delicious! Hazelnuts are very well known and often used in cuisine of the Pacific Northwest, so I was happy to be utilizing them. Not to forget that I got to add stinky cheese, too!! (YUM!)
Top Review by rosslare
Fit for kings and queens! I doubled the poultry seasoning in the flour and cooked all the way through in a skillet, on low heat, being careful not to scorch the hazelnuts. What a success!
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh ground black pepper or tri-color pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves, plus extra for garnish (substitute 1 teaspoon dried sage and stir into sauce, if fresh is not available, or you may substitu)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder.
- In another shallow dish or bowl, beat the egg white (we substituted 1 large egg, beaten).
- In another shallow dish place the chopped hazelnuts.
- Over medium-high temperature, heat a non-stick skillet with an oven-safe handle.
- Season the uncooked chicken pieces with the salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Dredge the seasoned chicken in the flour mixture, then the egg, then press the meat into the nuts on both sides (gently pressing to get the nuts to adhere); set chicken pieces on a plate, then thoroughly wash your hands in hot water and soap.
- Add the olive oil to the preheated pan, then add the prepared chicken.
- Brown the encrusted chicken pieces on the stove about 2 minutes per side, then place the entire skillet into the preheated oven and complete the cooking, about 8 minutes, until chicken juices run clear.
- While chicken is cooking, warm the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat; add the Gorgonzola and stir, melting it into the milk, then add the sage and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- When chicken is done, place the pieces on serving plates then pour sauce over each serving, then garnish with additional chopped sage.