Recipe by KWB
This is a Chocolate Crinkle cookie made with Chocolate Hazelnut spread and toasted chopped hazelnuts. It is a STAR in my Christmas cookie line-up. Very flavorful! Time to make includes 2 hour chilling time.
Top Review by Chilicat
These are excellent cookies! I made some with the chopped hazelnuts and powdered sugar per instructions but also made a few plain, pressing a Dove milk chocolate into the center as soon as the cookies came out of the oven. The dough is very non-sticky and handles beautifully and the cookie is chewy and full of Nutella flavor. I used the medium-sized Pampered Chef cookie scoop and got just about 36 cookies. For me 10 minutes was just perfect for a nice, chewy cookie. Note: I had to pop the cooled cookies into the freezer for 10 minutes to set the chocolate candies, but once they were set I could stack them up without any problems. Thanks for a great Nutella recipe!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (13 ounce) jar chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl; set aside.
- Beat shortening in bowl of electric mixer, then add chocolate-hazelnut spread. Add sugar and eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk into chocolate-hazelnut mixture.
- Chill dough 2 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into 1" balls, roll in chopped hazelnuts, then powdered sugar.
- Place 2" apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes then remove to cooling rack.
- If they last as long as 3 days, they begin to absorb moisture and crumble, so eat or distribute them before then!