Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a Chocolate Crinkle cookie made with Chocolate Hazelnut spread and toasted chopped hazelnuts. It is a STAR in my Christmas cookie line-up. Very flavorful! Time to make includes 2 hour chilling time.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl; set aside.
- Beat shortening in bowl of electric mixer, then add chocolate-hazelnut spread. Add sugar and eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk into chocolate-hazelnut mixture.
- Chill dough 2 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into 1" balls, roll in chopped hazelnuts, then powdered sugar.
- Place 2" apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes then remove to cooling rack.
- If they last as long as 3 days, they begin to absorb moisture and crumble, so eat or distribute them before then!
These are excellent cookies! I made some with the chopped hazelnuts and powdered sugar per instructions but also made a few plain, pressing a Dove milk chocolate into the center as soon as the cookies came out of the oven. The dough is very non-sticky and handles beautifully and the cookie is chewy and full of Nutella flavor. I used the medium-sized Pampered Chef cookie scoop and got just about 36 cookies. For me 10 minutes was just perfect for a nice, chewy cookie. Note: I had to pop the cooled cookies into the freezer for 10 minutes to set the chocolate candies, but once they were set I could stack them up without any problems. Thanks for a great Nutella recipe!
I made these cookies for PAC Fall 2007. These are very, very good cookies! Two of my favourite flavours in one cookie. The whole family enjoyed them and the kids gave them 5 stars (but then all cookies deserve 5 stars in their opinion). The only thing I did differently was that I substituted butter for the shortening because I do not like to use shortening at all. Next time I will increase the amount of hazelnuts just a little because I did not have quite enough to coat all of the cookies. I used one of those mini ice cream scoops from Pampered Chef (approx 1 Tbsp) to portion out the cookies and got 6 dozen. We'll see how long they last with all the cookie monsters in my house!